X-COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General ideas

+2
KeijoKurkku
Rek19769
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

General ideas Empty General ideas

Post by SpottyBug Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:05 am

I want to discuss general ideas in this sub forum. The different games will have their own rules and rankings. This forum is for general ideas across the board.

Which maps should be banned should be listed in their respective games.

We are already familiar with the 7.5k, 10k and 20k tournaments. Other ideas could be restrictions on teams, such as no grenades, no robotics, etc. Feel free to share your ideas!

Had a ranking tournament idea, low ranking players will play other low ranking players, while high ranking players play their equals. When a low ranking has to play a high ranking a penalty could be imposed on the high ranking player creating a more equal battlefield for the low ranking one, thereby increasing the chances for the low ranking player to win. Perhaps something like 25% point penalty? So a 10k tournament between a low ranking vs high ranking would cause the low rank to have 10k points vs high rank 7.5k points. Would increase the chances of low rank to win, and also force the high rank to really test his mettle in combat.

Last edited by SpottyBug on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
SpottyBug
SpottyBug
Squaddie
Squaddie

https://xcom.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

General ideas Empty Re: General ideas

Post by Rek19769 Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:29 am

I believe the pick your own time tournament format with a finals on the weekend what's the best thing to defeat the time zone issues. I believe there should be a weekly winner without the use of ranks. That weekly winner what app options for the next tournament like the ability to pick what third map. Is there a sign up for tournaments like we did with TSG? You could always order the tournament by how they sign up first to sign up battles last to sign up and so on. I believe the ranks tend to alienate the lower ranked players from the upper rank players. And if you happen to miss the tournament because I don't know you have a life then it's really hard to catch back up because of thé accumulative points. With ano crank open tournament more people in my opinion would be likely to join for the plain and simple fact that they could actually be number one for that week and then start fresh again next week. Its equal opportunity XCOM lol

Rek19769
Wacky Champion
Wacky Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpottyBug Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:48 am

Set up the calendar, you can see events there, I set one for next Monday. Clicking on the event takes you into forum where you can sign up by simply posting in a new post.
SpottyBug
SpottyBug
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by KeijoKurkku Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:24 am

found it. was trying to google it, what a rtard, we talked about that low rank players meets low rank once, i think thats good, keeps intrest up with not so experienced players, not sure of the penalty though, cant be taking anything off from my 7,5 or 10k teams, i would just have to use my mec team always if that happend, max 15% point cut, maybe 10, those are very important points in 7,5 and 10k. as for the tournament system, i liked what we had, dont know about the point distribution system how it should be but the open play system during the week really worked for me, would like to keep that same.
KeijoKurkku
KeijoKurkku
10K and 20K Champion
10K and 20K Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rek19769 Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:10 am

Just got a new phone and a new xcom site. Gotta lot to get used to lol

Rek19769
Wacky Champion
Wacky Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpottyBug Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:55 pm

I posted invitations on gamefaqs EW and EU forums, hopefully people will join from there as well. Also sent tons of messages through PSN inviting people. Not too much interest.

I will put some more invites on Gamespot and 2k forums today.
If you guys frequent other forums with XCOM players, put out some invites!

Missing some of the regulars, like C4mus, pinche, oleger.
SpottyBug
SpottyBug
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rek19769 Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:30 pm

I messaged pinche

Rek19769
Wacky Champion
Wacky Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpottyBug Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:11 am

BigJoeDad sent a message on PSN tonight about players with discs has issues playing vs downloaded copies. Sounds interesting and worrisome.

I use a disc, any of you guys use a downloaded copy? If any of you guys do the claim is already discredited.

Also, haven't seen BladeRip sign up for this yet, but he been offline for 2 days. Would really want him on board.

I made KeijoKurkku and Rek19769 admin group. I also enabled moderator powers, so you guys should be able to moderate others posts. I offered same to FireHydrus, but he said its not necessary. Will offer same to BladeRip.

I will keep the admin group tiny, just the core group. We all should be able to add events on calendar, please check if you can so I know it actually works. That way we all can control the flow and ebb of things.

I can be quite busy at times, being married and having to work overtime all the time. Rek is in similar situation. BladeRip as well, but in different timezone. Not sure about Keijo, but kind of imagine him as a long haired black metal loving guy. I think among us we all would be able to keep things running smooth. Just make sure to keep flaming, trolling and bad things away. Focus on friendly atmosphere. Helpful community. Moderate away bad stuff, don't get dragged into it, just edit post saying it has been edited for being unfriendly whatever.

Right now the group is tiny, but once word gets out I'm sure more people will join. I been posting on a couple of forums about xcom, but no replies, forums really slow. Once xcom 2 releases we should hopefully see a boom in interest in the games again. Just hope the exclusive to PC was a white lie.

I made a rank system on the site, similar to what we had on old site, but this one is automatic. Once you join the site, you are a recruit, when a few posts have been made, you get promoted to squaddie and so on. A guy that signs up for tournaments will slowly rise in rank, while a guy that signs up for tourneys and also interacts with us on forum will rise a little faster. Its all automatic and is not related to wins and losses in tournaments.

There are also special ranks, which overrides the automatic ranks, such as the Admin group, which is the only special rank at the moment.

I also made an introduction thread, participate!
SpottyBug
SpottyBug
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by KeijoKurkku Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:26 am

no long hair or black metal, long hair dont look good when u are balding, my situation is that my school starts next monday, less free time after that but still probly have more than u guys, got the kids only every other week, im in roughly same timezone as the brits (+2hrs) in Finland. no idea if the hard copy has compatibility problems with downloaded one, i use always hardcopies for resell purposes, somebody test that if you know someone with downloaded copy.
KeijoKurkku
KeijoKurkku
10K and 20K Champion
10K and 20K Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rek19769 Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:38 am

I'm a disc but...there have been several case where I could not join another player and never knew why. After talking to them and resting etc etc no luck. Wonder if they were download games? If I have a guy on my friends that done that I will ask. Honestly I dig me some heavy metal not really black metal and I just need to get a hair cut. Lol.

Rek19769
Wacky Champion
Wacky Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by BladeRIP Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Long haired metal lover here. Not the black stuff. I like em to be able to sing at least a bit Wink
I'm also a disc user so no idea on that issue.
BladeRIP
BladeRIP
Squaddie
Squaddie

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxZdwDu6c4H_95KDooFfY_g

Back to top Go down

Post by SpottyBug Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:56 pm

Awesome! Blade finally joined! I want to link up Blades YouTube to a thread on here if that's ok?

Also, I noticed only admin privileged people signed up for the tournament. I messaged firehydrus and jackmagewolf telling them to sign up.

I checked the tournaments thread, everyone is able to see and post on it. Blade, can you confirm? Have not yet made you admin, will do so when I get home to laptop, scared of using phone to mess with permissions on site.
SpottyBug
SpottyBug
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by BladeRIP Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:13 pm

I linked it in my profile m8. Also, regarding the admin, I might copy Firehydrus' example and politely decline. It's nice of you to offer but I don't need the power Razz
Just happy to be here Smile
BladeRIP
BladeRIP
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by SpottyBug Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:59 am

To me admin privilege is not about power, but about continuity and coverage. To make sure all is well at all times. Right now we are a small group, so not a lot of admins needed. If we do get a boom in members, might call upon you again.

Also, I feel a little weird right now, I was just a regular member on the old site, and now I'm on the top, but I can assure you I won't repeat the old site mistakes, and I count on you guys to help me steer the ship. And money will never be involved, I wont ask you guys to buy stuff nor will I ask for donations. This site is free.

Had a guy at gamefaqs who expressed interest in joining, said he is addicted with the game and wants to try multiplayer once he gets through single player. So I hope he joins up.

JackMageWolf told me he cant make tournament next week. So I will be bugging him for the next tournaments after that Razz Not sure about FireHydrus, hoped he would sign up as well. I did send him a message on PSN, but no reply. Probably busy. C4mus and Pinche have been offline since before the site got started, so I hope they join up this weekend.

My hours at work has permanently changed. Some of you may remember a while back one of my co workers got injured and I stepped in to cover his shift? I'm taking over his shift. He came back, but he is still pretty messed up nearly 4 months later. A result of that is that I never see Rek online anymore, used to see him all the time. Might be an issue in tournaments. Thinking 1st round of tournaments should include weekends also, then second rounds can be done the following week maybe? Sounds good? Bad?

I removed the Admin titles, so everyone is a recruit. Keijo, rek and myself still have admin privileges and moderation powers.
SpottyBug
SpottyBug
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rek19769 Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:15 am

OK well if I see u in the morning we will have to xcom then instead of RE and Destiny lol

Rek19769
Wacky Champion
Wacky Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by c4mus Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Hey guys, here I am 
So we got a brand new website while some members seem not having migrated... Well being new to this team and not having participated much to the activity so far I’m not gonna ask for details...
Anyway I’m signing in for the next tournament. (although i’m yet to become a fan of the 10k Wink Also I will try participating further to the community going onwards. I just wouldn’t like you to get wrong idea abt me as I’m truly happy having met a bunch of very nice folks like you (not smth you find easily onto other games). No, it’s just that I’m simply not used to participate in any online stuff really.. Being a social media hater and spending my days in front of a computer writing hundreds of emails everyday somehow keep me away of these stuff once i’m home... But really I’ll definitely try getting more involved from now on 
As for the new rules you’re thinking about implementing I have a bit of mix feeling though. On one hand I think balancing could indeed profit both players as spotty stated and surely I know well how a bit frustrating it can be when keep loosing haha. That being said I dont think my actual level would be what it is if I’d have kept playing vs regular players. Also, I’m not too sure if it would really help a novice requesting veteran to reduce their pts especially on small maps where playing the 1st round is undoubtedly a significative advantage. Well that’s just my personal opinion though and I’ll be playing by the rules that got decided.
Well sorry for the long post, that’s me (not posting often but when I do, I can’t really help making it short haha).
Cheers pals

c4mus
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by SpottyBug Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:36 am

Yay C4mus! 'bout time you showed up! Very Happy
Yes, some of the old members didn't come along, but invitations has been sent out to most, if not all. The old site shut down so quick no one realized what had happened until after the fact.

We got a new member, DarthBlasphemus, he found us by googling "ps3 mp xcom" and found my gamefaqs invitation! That makes me happy! So hopefully more people will find us and join up. The more the merrier!
I played a few games with him, won some, lost some, and I think he will fit right in with us.

Quick question, is anyone having problems with the colors and text? I might change the colors around since some text colors seems to disappear into the background.

I created a user named SpottyTester, I will be using that account to see the site from a person with no permissions point of view to make sure everything is in order and works the way it should.

I started on a rules for EW thread in its forum, feel free to comment and / or criticize the rules. I will also see if I can move the EW tournament thread into the EW forum. Its currently attached to the calendar, so, we will see.

Added 2 events, Sunday Funday with a special scenario if people want to try something different, and a deathmatch league to encourage people to play each other. Originally set the deathmatch for 2600 points, but later increased to 7500. Might be too boring or slow at 2600.
If any members have ideas for tournaments and / or events, post it! If anyone wants to host an event, let me know and I'll set up an event thread for you.
SpottyBug
SpottyBug
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by KeijoKurkku Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 am

not problems really but dont like much of the black backround. white with black letters felt better, dont know why but it does. i hear you c4mus about the social media, never liked any of that stuff, my friends think im weird but so what, got a phone if i anybody needs me.
KeijoKurkku
KeijoKurkku
10K and 20K Champion
10K and 20K Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by BladeRIP Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:32 am

Me too. Tried facebook; hated it. The people on there I actually might want to keep in touch with were the ones, like me, who rarely post anything. So I end up reading all the bullshit written by the increasingly idiotic fringe. Nonetheless, it's an addiction; once you're on there, you'll keep looking every day. So I deleted it, to make it stop Razz.
As for twitter, I refuse to read anything anyone has ever said on there. Fuck em Wink
BladeRIP
BladeRIP
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by SpottyBug Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:30 am

Swapped the black background for a white one, set up a poll to see which one is preferred. Vote people!
SpottyBug
SpottyBug
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by BladeRIP Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:39 am

Black one was cooler, but this one is undoubtedly an easier read Wink
BladeRIP
BladeRIP
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by SpottyBug Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:41 am

BladeRIP wrote:Black one was cooler, but this one is undoubtedly an easier read Wink

And somehow advertisements got added on top, don't recall that on the black one. Also saw a reddish one, might check that one out.
SpottyBug
SpottyBug
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by BladeRIP Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:42 am

My adblock must be doing its job; I can't see them.
BladeRIP
BladeRIP
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by SpottyBug Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:52 am

OK, I just got overwhelmed, lol, I looked around for different types of forum types. I thought there were 5, there are more then 600. Depending on the poll I will be looking for something to better fit the site.
SpottyBug
SpottyBug
Squaddie
Squaddie

Back to top Go down

Post by KeijoKurkku Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:47 am

i would like to see normal 7,5 and 10k tournaments with some restrictions on what unit you can use, (same points for both players) my 10k games tend to be all mec or elite muton battles, getting bit boring, dont like to use other units cause if my opponent have either of those units teams, odds of winning will be lot lower. not too restricted, something like no mecs and no mutons, or all human, all alien teams, something like that. deathmatch league with no flyers is a good start but maybe that could be applied to normal tournaments also, what do people think? or should it on the funny tournaments only (probly not gonna be many players on that) doesnt matter that much on 20k, possibities to edit teams are so much more
KeijoKurkku
KeijoKurkku
10K and 20K Champion
10K and 20K Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum